Recommended Restaurants in Sligo and Mayo
‘Those who love to eat are the best kind of people’
We have two excellent dining options right here in the hotel, both offering a really special and memorable dining experience overlooking Killala Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. The Ocean Bar and Restaurant and Dunes Dining Room both offer a great selection of delicious brunch, lunch and dinner options including locally-sourced seafood, when available. Dine in-house and sample some mouth-watering dinnertime treats including black pudding from our neighbouring County Mayo and creamy Atlantic seafood chowder. Vegetarian and vegan guests will also be well catered for here at the Ocean Sands Hotel. They can look forward to enjoying delights such as St Tola’s goat’s cheese tartlet or creamy chickpea curry.
Private Dining at The Ocean Sands
Travelling with a large group and looking to do something special for dinner? Why not make a reservation in our stunning and private Atlantic Room which boasts panoramic sea views? The Atlantic Room seats up to 24 for dinner and also makes an ideal venue for a corporate dinner.
However, if you fancy venturing further afield, we are happy to recommend a selection of great restaurants here in Sligo, many of which use an abundance of local produce to produce some really memorable food.
Recommended local places to eat and drink…
- Ait Eile– situated under Gilroy’s Bar in the town centre this is worth a visit for dinner, serving excellent bistro food in a relaxed atmosphere. 096 37222
- Gilroys Bar – The Square, Traditional Irish Pub, Lively Large & Modern (Sports events on TV) with music on Saturdays and 09637222
- Pilot Bar – cosy homely pub with a warm welcoming feel, really good pub food both lunch and dinner in a comfortable with hearty dishes including fresh fish, or a quiet drink with the locals. 096 36131
- McNultys Bar & Caroline’s Kitchen – Café Open Daily – Main Street across from the Church – Modern Large Bar with music on the weekends.
- Diamond Coast Hotel – Stir Bistro – lunch and dinner daily with specialty nights on Wednesdays and Thursdays 096 26000
- Café Del Mara – Restaurant in the Golf Club open to visitors, serves breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks overlooking the magnificent golf course in a relaxing setting 096 36814 (Closed in the Winter Months)
- Tracy’s Café – open daily, this café offers breakfast, lunch, sandwiches, salads, juices & smoothies as well as great coffee
- Maple Moose Café and Ice Cream Parlor – Serves Ice Cream, Crepes, Pizza & Hot Drinks located on Pier Road open all year round
- Gelati– The Best Ice Cream in the World, homemade delights – located in the Main Square, open in the summer only
- Spicy Affair – Indian cuisine and a modern restaurant and take away 096 37773 open late in summer
- Frydays – Take Away – The Best Fresh Fish and Chips 096 37610
- Gala Sit in Take Away – On Main Street – Breakfast and Lunch 09636108
- Enniscrone Pizza Place Take Away 0874674646
- Hopkins Bar – The Square, Take a step back in time in this quaint little bar, buckets of charm and atmosphere
- If you are taking a drive Pudding Row Café in the nearby village of Easkey is worth the trip for Brunch
You can choose Ballina as the foodie destination to begin your wonderful dining experience in the Mayo North region. From traditional cuisine to ethnic restaurants, bistros to cosy cafés, the North Mayo capital has it all.
Mocha Beans Ballina
Pearse St, Ballina, Co. Mayo, F26 RX25 and N26 Foxford Road, Ballina, Co. Mayo
Mocha Beans roast all their coffee beans in-house, producing the freshest and best tasting coffee in the country. They’re also known for being all round sound skins
Boho Barista – the coffee bar on the move!
Boho Barista promotes taking time outdoors for well-being, timeout to connect with nature. Their vision is to create a place of community for locals and passers-by to share a chat and sip in the moment and the incredible surroundings of North Mayo and West Sligo.
Boho Barista serve Allpress Espresso, Sticky Chai, Remedy Teas and home baked nibbles.
The Coffee Vine Ballina
Tone St, Ballina, Co. Mayo F26 D2C2
The Coffee Vine is the happening café and bakery where the locals go to meet, drink, and enjoy tasty treats. Their menu features dishes assembled from the freshest ingredients, using local and Irish suppliers. The Coffee Vine focuses on providing an alternative menu with items both sweet and savoury suitable for those with vegans and Coeliac diets.
Poacher Restaurant is an intimate cosy restaurant in a venue you may have already be familiar with … The old ‘Heifer & Hen’ is reborn as Poacher Restaurant.
Located discreetly above Heffernans Fine Food, in the buzzing centre of Ballina’s Market Square.
The kitchen team led by the very talented & award-winning Chef Yvonne Kathrein. Her imagination and preparation of food is simply divine. Yvonne will continue to create mouth-watering menus with local ingredients, expressing her love for the West of Ireland through her food.
Daniel with his excellent knowledge of food and great taste in wines will be welcoming you to this new venture and will provide a memorable dining experience. Due to government guidelines please book in advance by calling Poacher Restaurant on (096) 77982 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Cot and Cobble is located along the banks of the River Moy right on the Wild Atlantic Way on Clare Street, and opens at 12 noon daily, serving fine food, coffee, and beverages in a wonderful atmosphere at affordable prices. Named after the boats that used to dock on the river outside the building years ago, to bring in the fishing nets, the Cot and Cobble offers a carvery menu, and an ample bar food menu is served from early evening until 9pm. The menus offer a variety of dishes taking into account all dietary requirements and tastes.
This stunning photo of the Cot & Cobble is courtesy of David Beattie.
Patricia and Mary’s enthusiastic team at the Cot and Cobble is passionate about using fresh Irish produce and ingredients to serve great, flavoursome Irish food. The Cot and Cobble takes pride in sourcing these ingredients locally and serves a variety of starters, main courses and desserts.
As well as the great food, the frequent live music and nightlife at The Cot and Cobble makes it one of the most popular places in the town, equally famous for their Strawberry Daiquiris and large selection of bottle and draft beers. For bookings: +353 96 73582 Email: email@example.com
Located on the banks of the River Moy at Ballina Quay, a Discovery Point along the Wild Atlantic Way, Crocket’s Quay Bistro offers a great quality food offering from scrumptious pub grub to fine dining in the restaurant.
If you are feeling fancy, La Montmartre is at 1 Market Yard and is definitely worth checking out. An elegant restaurant with a light and modern feel, the team there specialise in producing French classics with a focus on local produce, especially seafood. Located on the Garavogue River, Eala Bhán is another eatery which is deserving of its many accolades. The restaurant has an appealing urban brasserie feel while the food is classic with a contemporary twist. The focus is always on cooking with locally sourced, organic produce, when possible.
Bistro Bianconi is an award-winning Italian restaurant serving up mouth-watering pizzas, seafood, steaks, salads and more. A real Sligo institution, it is sure to have something on the menu to please everyone.
Knox on O’Connell Street is another widely popular option. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, they offer signature burgers, sandwiches and salads as well as a fun tapas menu at weekends.